Saturday, February 6, 2010

Homeless "Shelter"?

I've been feeling really sad about this post--I removed the comments but apparently some thought I was making fun of homeless people. That was absolutely NOT my intention. Homelessness to me is a complex, confusing and sometimes overwhelming issue.

I didn't think it was funny at all that this man had cardboard to protect him--I admired his resourcefulness but felt very sad when I realized that's why he had it.

I apologize if I have offended anyone by writing this...it was intended to be a reflection on the harsh reality of life but the amazing resilience--people are so inspirational--they find ways to overcome the worst things and that is not amusing to me, at all...indeed it is amazing.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find a way to eradicate homelessness? Sometimes I wonder if there is some solution we are all overlooking but I know the issues go much deeper. I knew a woman years ago who chose to sleep outdoors because of a horrible trauma that happened in her home--she felt safer outdoors because there people could at least keep an eye on her.

Please don't interpret this post as facetious--that is not at all the intent. Thanks.

About a week ago, I was on the bus on my way home from work. It was a rainy sort of West Coast day.

I noticed a dirty scruffy man sitting in the priority seating for older folk, the disabled and moms with strollers area. He had two thin cardboard boxes flattened down and duct taped together.

Silly me--at first I thought maybe he had a treasured piece of art. Then I looked at him again and thought, Um, where would he hang the picture if so?!

Then it hit me. That was probably his "homeless shelter" for the night. The cardboard was indeed a treasure. It was large enough and if there were actually four pieces and not the two I could see, he could make a "decent" lean-to.

I felt both sad and impressed. Sad for my homeless friend but impressed at his resourcefulness.

I have so much and can be too quick to complain. Sometimes our "wealth" (even though it doesn't always feel like wealth) blinds us to the need for stealth, strategy and survival modes employed by our homeless friends.

This post isn't about their choices but one man's ingenuity to make the best of one more hopeless day...at least he had the hope of a bit of cover for one night. Wow. A thin flattened-out cardboard box that weighs nothing but speaks volumes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment